What To Expect From Taking Guitar Lessons
There is a huge difference between learning guitar by yourself and taking guitar lessons with an experienced teacher. Learning on your own brings in limited results and creates barriers in your playing. When you take guitar lessons, your potential for improvement goes through the roof.
Many guitarists wait for a long time to take lessons. This is a mistake because they end up making much less progress in the time they learn alone than they would learning with a great guitar teacher.
After you’ve found a guitar teacher, you may be wondering how having a teacher helps (and if you haven’t done so already, take action now to find a great teacher… more on this below). Here are several ways taking guitar lessons benefits you greatly, and why you should be excited about it:
1. You get unstuck – One of the immediate reasons why guitar players take lessons is to solve one or more problems in their playing that causes them frustration. Working with a great guitar teacher guarantees that not only will you solve any problems in your playing, but you’ll learn how to replace them with effective playing habits so you can avoid issues in the future.
2. You experience less frustration – Learning guitar alone can be very frustrating. It’s often difficult to know what to do next to get better, what you should be practicing or how to make a breakthrough in your playing. When you take lessons with a great guitar teacher, all of these problems are solved. Experienced teachers have already helped many other guitarists overcome every kind of issue you can think of. This means they quickly diagnose and fix your issues, helping you make faster progress with less frustration.
3. You get expert feedback – Having an expert to guide you is essential for achieving great things. Many great guitar players took lessons from excellent teachers and received insights they would never have got on their own.
4. You achieve goals faster – Working with a great guitar teacher gives you access to proven and effective practice strategies. When your guitar practice is effective, you become a better player faster… when you become a better player, you achieve your goals faster. An experienced guitar teacher will ask you what your goals are up front, then help you determine a plan for reaching them. Compare this to simply guessing about what you need to do on your own and working with a teacher is a no-brainer!
How To Find A Great Guitar Teacher If You Haven’t Already
There are several key elements of a great guitar teacher to look for. Here are three of the biggest factors:
1. Teaches in your musical style – Make sure the teacher find specializes in teaching in your specific musical style (not just a “general” guitar teacher).
2. Has a history of getting great results for his students – This is the number one way to know for sure that a guitar teacher is effective. Look on the teacher’s website to find student feedback and proof that he has helped his students become great players and musicians.
Now all that is left to do is go out and find a great guitar teacher for yourself. If you already have your teacher, get excited because you are about to make more progress in your guitar playing than ever before!